Monday 18 February 2013

Goodness, I have been a bad blogger... =(

I am sorry for the lack of updates recently; a combination of epic reports and difficult family circumstances have resulted in a distinct lack of updates...

So where did I get to?

Oh right, Wayne was off on his holidays, so we were being looked after by Emmanuel (who took us through sourdoughs, my last update I believe) & then Clive, who was to take us through traditional British breads.  I think I covered the first couple of days; knots & malt loaves.

We did try the malt loaf in the end, & I must admit it was very tasty =)

We made another malt loaf over the next day, using dates & black treacle.  This loaf I was less keen on, but then I'm not a huge fan of black treacle.  We also made Lincolnshire Plum Bread, which, despite the name, contained no plums at all!


It was very tasty though, more like a cake than a bread in truth, it was quite dense, but packed full of raisins & currants  =)

We also made some Teacakes, & they went down a treat!


Alongside all these lovely fruited breads, we also made Scottish Morning Rolls, & Milk Rolls, which were both lovely again.  The Scottish Morning Rolls in particular were very soft, & slightly sweet.

When Thursday came around, we were back in the Dairy, this time to make soft cheese!

If all went to plan, we were hoping for a brie-style cheese, all soft & lovely  =)  This was a quicker process than the lactic cheese from a couple of weeks back, & it ended up with us having to stir the curds by hand!


Being elbow-deep in warm, soft curd was an interesting experience; it was lovely actually, slightly hypnotic & rather therapeutic  =)

The curds were eventually ladled into the moulds, & we should be able to bring them home soon  =)

I had to go home at the weekend, & circumstances meant I missed Monday  =(

But, I was back at School raring to go Tuesday morning!  Just in time for decorative breads!  I decided to throw myself in at the deep end and attempt a cornucopia  o.0

Luckily, it turned out alright  =)


I also tried my hand at some sweet little roses  =)


Wednesday was spent designing our epic bread sculpture, which we're making this week  =)  But seeing as that's being constructed as we speak, I'll save that for the next update.

I'll leave it at this for now, & treat you to all the news from flour confectionery tomorrow  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment