Wednesday 17 October 2012

Today we were let loose in the training room for our first freestyle day!

We were given the opportunity to take any recipe, & change or adapt it to our own designs.  I chose to do two flavoured brioches; a chocolate & hazelnut brioche, with vanilla & cinnamon, & a spiced fruit brioche!

There were a few of us working with brioche dough so we ganged up & made a big batch, then we scaled it down to our individual doughs & set to work mixing in our inclusions.

It was so much fun, & so empowering to be able to work semi-independently (Wayne was always on hand to double check percentages etc).  The last three weeks have been sort of a blur, & I haven't been completely sure I've been taking it all in, but I actually have =)

I worked out the percentages for my inclusions, scaled down the brioche dough to an 80g drop weight, rounded them off, then shaped them, & all with confidence.  I think I've got bakers percentages worked out in my head now, which means I can adjust a recipe to scale the yield up or down as required, & to add inclusions to create a flavoured dough, which is brilliant!

My brioche rolls needed a little more time to prove, due to the inclusions in the mix, but eventually they were ready to bake!

So, a final egg-wash & sprinkling of crystallised ginger & white chocolate chips, then into the oven they went!

And here they are!


My Chocolate & Hazelnut Brioche, with Vanilla & Cinnamon, topped with White Chocolate Drops =D

Once they'd just about cooled, we broke into one to see how they tasted, & I'm really quite pleased.  I think if I made these again I would increase the amount of Vanilla & Cinnamon in the mix, as I couldn't really taste the vanilla, & I think the Cinnamon could have been a touch stronger, but Wayne thought they were brilliant! =D


My Spiced Fruit Brioche; Sultanas, Currants & Mango, soaked in Apple & Blackberry Brandy, topped with Crystallised Ginger!

Again I was pleased with how these turned out; they've got quite a subtle fruity flavour, so I think next time I would add more soaked fruit, & increase the amount of mixed spice in the mix.

Everyone else's experiments turned out really well too; there was such a huge range of things baked, it was quite remarkable!

Here are just a few photos of the other students goodies =)


Sara's Brioche rolls, with Figs & Goats Cheese

 Joe's Stichleton & Cranberry Cottage Loaves


Amy's Chelsea Buns


Alex's Beer-guettes! (Baguettes made with an all-beer poolish!)


Clare's Lemon & Orange Brioche


Meg's Goats Cheese, Roasted Shallot & Thyme Loaves

No comments:

Post a Comment