Wednesday 24 October 2012

We had our second freestyle day today; anything we liked so long as it was based on a non-wheat or gluten free dough!

I chose to use the Pugliese & Oatmeal doughs as my bases; I paired the Oatmeal with Fig & Goats Cheese, & the Pugliese with Chilli, Lemon & Corriander =)

We made the Biga & Sponge up yesterday, so we were all ready to go!

The Oatmeal was very well behaved, proving in the estimated times & taking to the inclusions really well.  It was ready to scale & pre-shape right in the middle of lunch though, so not all perfect!


I think I might just have gotten the hang of this scaling thing; I was looking to scale each piece at 100g, & managed to get it to within a few grams of that each time! =D



The Oatmeal rolls rose & batched together really well; they looked great! =D
They went into the oven, & 11 (ish) minutes later, they emerged!

  

They're so light & fluffy!  The Fig works beautifully, but I must admit I couldn't really taste the Goats Cheese; I think next time I need to either increase the percentage of cheese, or use a stronger flavoured variety...

The Pugliese was such a wet dough!  Turns out after we made the Pugliese on Monday,  Wayne adjusted the recipe & dramitcally reduced the water content, but neither me or Sara (who I shared the Pugliese base dough with) heard him say so, so we used the full amount of water!

The dough was still just about workable, but it needed a fold every 20 minutes to get some strength into it, which is quite extreme considering the Oatmeal needed just one fold after an hour!  

Five folds later, the dough was ready for dividing & shaping; I chose to make two baguette shaped loaves rather than round loaves or rolls.

They came out of the oven looking really quite good =)


They were so fragrant, & the taste was awesome!  The lemon is the first thing that hits you, a lovely zesty fruityness & the chilli is just spicy enough =)  I think I might tone down the corriander next time though, it's just a tad too strong...

But all in all a very successful day! =D

I'm really enjoying the freestyle days; it's great to be able to experiment & test what I've learnt over these last few weeks.  Everythings starting to make sense; I'm begining to understand how to tell when the dough's ready to come out of the mixer, & when it's fully proved, so thats quite reassuring =)

It is tiring though; the bike ride home today was so tough!  My legs are killing me & my feet ache, but I know it'll all be worth it in the end! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment