Wednesday 19 December 2012

So that's it, I've now finished my two week placement!

I had the best time, & I've learnt so much, I'm still trying to take it all in =) 

The last week ran to the same schedule as last week; lots of weighing out, mixing, scaling, shaping, scoring & baking!  We even experimented with some ciabattas & baguettes as well; it was nice to try my hand at baguettes again, & nice to know I can still remember how to shape them!  My baguette scoring could still do with some work, but it's getting better =)

The nights seemed to run more smoothly this week; Dom did a lot of the weighing out the day before, so we were able to get started on the mixing & baking earlier.  I went out on deliveries with Dom on Tuesday too.  It was nice to get out in the fresh air after a long night baking, & it was great to see some of the restaurants the Bakehouse supply =)

Dom commented that I'd improved over the two weeks, particularly in my shaping, which was lovely to hear.  I could certainly see the difference in my shaping of the dough, & by the end of the week my scoring had come on leaps & bounds as well.

I was totally in charge of the sourdough bakes Wednesday & Thursday night; everything from setting out the breads on the baking sheets, scoring the tops, loading the ovens, monitoring the bakes & then finally unloading the loaves.  By the end of the week, my Pain de Campagne's looked almost as good as Dom's, & he even remarked on how well the sourdoughs had come out =)

I found it easier this week to get into my crazy sleeping pattern, although I found I wasn't as tired as early as I was last week, which made getting enough sleep a little more tricky.  But I think I managed it well enough.  I've been just as achey, & got a couple more burns the first two nights, but they weren't as bad as my first burn!  My hands have been worse this week though; incredibly sore & dry, but tonnes of hand cream has helped enormously!

I've had the best time on placement, it's been such a great experience & I do feel like I've improved a lot.  It's been a great insight into how a bakery actually works, & how much work is involved in getting the breads out in time for the shop to open.

It hasn't put me off either!  I still love baking; there's no better feeling than seeing all the bread out on the racks, ready to be bought & devoured.  It makes all the hard work, the sleeplessness, the physical aches & pains totally worth it =D

Now I'm looking forward to nice break, with some festive baking thrown in of course, before heading back to School in January.

The posts will be fewer over until I get back to School, but I will let you know how the festive baking goes!  In the meantime, have a very Merry Christmas! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment