Wednesday 5 December 2012

Well, it's Wednesday afternoon.  4.27pm to be exact.  In just 30 minutes, I'll be heading off to bed to catch a few hours kip, before I get up at 11.00pm, so I can get to Shrewsbury ready to start work at 1.30am.

That's right folks; its placement week!

I'm working my placement at the Shrewsbury Bakehouse; a great little bakery, just a short train ride from my house.  I've done two shifts so far, starting at 1.30am & finishing up around 10.30am.

So far the hardest part has been trying to adjust to a new sleeping pattern.  It's so odd going to bed when most people are just finishing work, & even odder getting up when folks are thinking about going to bed!  Thankfully, its dark by 4.30pm here, so it hasn't been too weird; I think it would have been harder trying to get to sleep in the daylight.

I've been working my shifts with Dominic, who now owns the Bakehouse & has for the last 12 months.  He's been great to work with; really helpful & willing to teach, which is what these two weeks are all about.  I know I'm only on day two, but already I can see the difference in my shaping & cutting.  It's not perfect, not yet, but it's getting there =)

In my first shift, I was helping to weigh out the ingredients for the sourdough breads, scaling & shaping the sourdoughs made the night before, scoring the breads before baking, setting out the breads on the shelves & taste testing the brownies, to make sure they were still lovely & chocolaty (they were!) =D

Last night, or this morning, however you look at it, I was in charge of weighing out all the ingredients, mixing the doughs, & setting out the first bake, including the scoring, loading & unloading of the oven!  My scoring wasn't perfect, but it wasn't awful either =)

I did make one mistake; weighing out 5kg of wholemeal flour rather than white flour, but it was 2.00am, so I think I can be forgiven! 

It's hard work, physically & mentally.  I ache today, not too badly, but enough to have made a long hot bath a necessity!  My feet ache, my arms & hands are sore, & it's been quite a struggle not to fall asleep on the train home, but I'm thoroughly enjoying my placement so far.

The last two days have flown by, & I'm sure the rest of the week will as well.  Hopefully I'll carry on improving & I'll get used to the hours, but for now, I'm going to make myself a lovely herbal tea, & think about heading off to bed =)

Night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment