Tuesday 28 May 2013

Seaside Adventures!



So I’ve now completed my first week at Two Magpies, & had my day off, & I’m just about ready to head to bed before starting week two!

This week I’ll be working with Rebecca on the cake side of the operation.  I must admit, I’m more nervous about that then I was about working with Jim on the bread!  I’m not really sure why, I think it’s just that I feel like I understand bread more than I do cake.  I suppose I just don’t have the experience of professional cake making, so there feels like there’s more pressure, especially to get it looking beautiful & sale worthy!

Maybe that’s the difference; bread is beautiful in all its rustic, unique, individual glory.  When you’re making cakes at home, for yourself or family or friends, it can be a little rustic & not-quite-perfect.  But making cakes to sell? They all need to be perfect, & I guess I’m not sure I quite have that touch… But we’ll see.  All I can do is my best & I’m certainly going to do that!

Southwold itself is really very pretty, especially along the sea front; they’ve got all these little beach huts, all brightly coloured, & it’s very sweet  =)


I went for a wander along the pier the other day, & all along the railings are these little brass plaques.  Some of them commemorate births & weddings, others are memorials to individuals & events, others still are quotes.  I saw a couple of Oscar Wilde quotes, & this one from Tolkien, which made me smile  =)


I still need to go for a wander round the brewery; I know they do tours so will have to investigate & see if I can do that before we leave, continue my real ale education!  But I did get to be a tourist, just a little!


For now though, I’m off to bed, need me some sleep before tonight’s shift  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment