Saturday 25 May 2013

Seasides & Sourdoughs



Morning all!

I’m in Southwold, having just finished my third shift at Two Magpies Bakery, so I’m tired & I ache a little!

But I’m also happy  =)

I had an epiphany of sorts at around 12.40am.  I love baking.  I bloody love it.  There really is nothing else I’d rather do for the rest of my life.

Yes it’s hard work, the hours are long & unsociable, but it’s so worth it.  It might seem a little sad, but I find it incredible fascinating; mixing the dough, learning how to tell by look & feel when it’s fully developed.  The anticipation of the bulk fermentation, waiting to see how much its grown, never really knowing how active & crazy it’s likely to be.  Then scaling & shaping the dough, letting it prove, turning it out, scoring, & finally baking.  The sense of achievement & satisfaction at the end of a shift, seeing all the loaves, each one unique & beautiful, knowing you had a hand in their creation.

Honestly, it’s all really very emotional.

Two Magpies have a glass fronted oven as well, which is wonderful because you can see the loaves as they bake.  Far better than the oven at School, where the loaves bake behind a solid door, so you don’t know if they’ve risen at all until the damper is taken out & you can open the door.

I love it here at Two Magpies, everyone is lovely & friendly, they bake a great range of breads & some beautiful pastries & cakesI’m having one of those ‘wish I’d asked for the full four weeks here not just two’ moments!

Jim, who owns Two Magpies, is a former student from School, so it’s been good to be able to compare notes, see what’s changed & what hasn’t!  He’s been quite happy to let me get on with mixing on my own, & I’ve done plenty of scaling, scoring & loading of the ovens, so it’s been really great.  It’s been an opportunity to really see how much I’ve learnt, & I’ve been pleasantly surprised  =)

I haven’t had much time to wander round Southwold itself yet, but the weathers looking pretty nice outside, so I think I might go see what I can find in a bit!  See if I can’t find me some fish & chips!  =D

Catch you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment